Boone County 4-H Rules and Awards:
4-H is the largest youth organization in the world with over three million members nationally. Nearly five thousand Boone County youth participate annually in planned 4-H projects, events and activities. 4-H is organized in each county by the County Cooperative Extension Service 4-H agents, who work together with the University of Kentucky and local volunteer leaders to plan and conduct the county4-H program.
Membership and participation in all Boone County Fair 4-H shows and activities is open to all youth who are at least 9 years old and not older than 18 as of January 1, of the current year who either reside in Boone County or go to school in Boone County.
Membership is not open to those who participate in any other county's 4-H program. To be considered a 4-H member, an enrollment form must be completed and turned in to the Extension Office before June 2 of the current year.
4-H participation is open to all youth 9-18 without regard to race, color, religion, sex, handicap, or national origin.
4-H General Rules:
1. To be considered a 4-H member eligible to exhibit at the county fair, an enrollment form MUST be completed and turned into the Extension Office before JUNE 1 of the current year.
2. All Boone County 4-H members will receive a 4-H membership card. This card entitles the member only (no other family members) to free gate admission into the fairgrounds. Membership passes are not valid for carnival ride admission.
3. Entries made in 4-H classes must be produced in conjunction with an approved project. Members may only enter in one Unit of each category. (Example: cannot enter in Units I, II, and III of Home Environment.)
4. The work on the entry must be done since the previous year's fair.
5. Classes marked with an * are qualified for State Fair. You must comply with State Fair requirements to qualify.
6. All entries except livestock, dog, cat, horse and vegetables are to be registered on Monday, August 6 between 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM in the Lutes Floral Hall. All 4-H vegetable entries are to be entered in the Vegetable & Crops Exhibit Building from 2:00 - 7:00 PM on Monday, August 6th. All Livestock (except Nominated Market Animals, which must meet requirements in the 4-H Livestock Rules and Regulations) are to be registered at their respective shows. Dogs and cats are to be pre-registered according to rules of those shows in this catalog.
7. All members exhibiting animals (poultry, rabbits, dairy, swine, goat, dog, cat, beef, and sheep) must submit their 4-H project record book for review according to rule 7 in the Livestock Program Rules and Regulations.
8. Duplication of projects by 4-H/FFA members is not permitted.
9. All nominated livestock project members must abide by the 4-H Livestock Rules and Regulations.
PLEASE NOTE: 4-H Members have their own 4-H Exhibitor Number that are displayed on a membership card that is given to them prior to the fair. 4-H Members should use this number, even for Open Classes, and SHOULD NOT get an Open Exhibitor Number.
Special 4-H Awards
* Outstanding 4-H’er Awards ─ Presented to two 4-H’ers annually (one Jr. and one Sr.). Award winners are selected based on the number of points accumulated throughout the fair week with their exhibits in the 4-H Division. Points are calculated as follows: 1st - 5 pts. 2nd - 4 pts. 3rd - 3 pts.
Applications for the award may be picked up at the Boone County Extension Office and must be returned by last Friday in September. Awards will be given at the Annual Achievement Banquet in October.
4-H Clothing Awards ─ Gift Certificates for one Junior and one Senior 4-H'er for Home Economics Clothing Projects. Given by Rae Beasley and Almeda Rea. Awards will be given at Annual Achievement Banquet in October.
Boone County Homemakers Cloverville Awards ─ Presented by the Homemakers in honor of 4-H Leader & Homemaker, Debbie Pope, to two 4-H’ers, one high-point Jr. and one high-point Sr. from exhibits in Cloverville (Floral Hall). Applications for the award may be picked up at the Boone County Extension Office and must be returned by September 30. Awards will be given at the Annual Achievement Banquet in October.
- Sugar-N-Spice Home Environment Awards ─ Presented by Sugar-N-Spice Homemakers Club to the Class Champion of the Highest Sr. Home Environment Unit and the Class Champion of the Highest Jr. Home Environment Unit. $25.00 gift certificate will be given for each. Awards will be given at the Annual Achievement Banquet in October.